Monday, January 17, 2011

Insulator Post -- California Signal



It's been a while since I featured a pretty piece of glass so I can't think of a better way to progress into my second year of blogging than with this California signal.  Although best known for the multitude of purple shades, The California Glass Insulator Company also produced lots of sage green glass.  This near perfect specimen came home with me from the Springfield show last November and is my only example of the common California color.

Pressed from molten glass between the years of 1912 and 1916 at the Long Beach, California factory, this insulator is quickly closing in on it's 100th birthday.  I hope I look half as good when I'm that age!  From the first time I picked up a California I have been enamored with the clarity and wet look of the glass produced by this company.  The "melting ice" appearance I can only theorize comes from the minerals present in the raw materials or as a result of the cooling process once the insulator came out of the mold.  In any case this is a main reason why I like the California brand.    




No comments:

Post a Comment