Friday, May 13, 2011

Mustard-BBQ Chicken



Don't worry, Recumbent Conspiracy Theorist is not turning into a food blog.  Some secrets are just too good to keep under wraps.  This peculiar recipe came from my wife's sister's husband's family who hail from the Corpus Christi, Texas area.  

All the required ingredients are pictured above.  Ordinary yellow mustard, your favorite sauce and some chicken.  I prefer white meat chicken but this treatment works equally well for all parts of the bird.  Throw the meat on the grill and slop on a heavy coating of the yellow stuff to both sides.  Flip the pieces one time to allow the mustard to cook and dry a bit.  The mustard glaze is applied only once at the very beginning of the grill.  Continue to periodically flip the chicken and brush on liberal amounts of barbecue sauce.  I love the stuff and will typically consume a whole bottle basting my chicken.  Aside from the great flavor the sauce helps keep the meat moist as it cooks.  I grill the chicken for 30 - 45 minutes on low to medium heat.  Too much temperature and the meat dries out quickly.

Give it a try if your in the mood for something different.  I have been using this method for years now and never grab the barbecue sauce without the mustard. I grill out all year long so it's not surprising to see me snow shoveling a path to the gas grill in the dead of winter.  When the weather is warmer as it was last night and I have time to kill I love cooking on an open wood fire.  In the photograph I am using apple wood I cut last autumn for a sweet smokey flavor.     


No comments:

Post a Comment