Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Not A Race




I'm not a regular rider of charity events but what enticed me to do this fun ride was the unique opportunity to ride my recumbent bike on the world class Mid Ohio Sports Car Course.  The weather forecast called for a 50 percent chance of thunderstorms but the actual conditions couldn't have been better.  Temperatures in the mid 80's and lower humidity than usual made for a great afternoon workout.

The pictures I took from the cockpit of my recumbent cycling machine as I made my way around the 2.2 mile road circuit.  The lay of the land looks relatively flat in my photographs but I assure you this is not the case.  The track was designed using the rolling hills of the Clear Fork valley and as a result one lap is divided fairly even between uphill and downhill.  The only flat segment is along pit row.  The back stretch is a good half mile of steady decent where I easily hit 30 mph in top gear.  Following the strait away was an S-curve and then a sharp 90 degree turn both of which I was able to negotiate at 30+ mph without touching the brakes. 

Summit Therapy & Performance put on the event to benefit the fight against MS.  They did a nice job and I will look to support their cause again in the future.  It's been a while since I did anything for a cause and I have to say I do feel good about helping out.  
    






Porshe's are a dime a dozen on this track but I'm going to claim the first ever run of another fine piece of German engineering: the HP Velotechnik Street Machine unless someone can prove otherwise.

Ride Time:  1:50
Distance: 27 miles/ 13 laps
Average Speed:  14.6 mph
Max Speed:  35.8 mph

3 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Were you the only recumbent rider?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recumbent Conspiracy TheoristAugust 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM

    Fun yes but much more difficult than I expected. I will ride the Motobecane next year- should get the average speed up better with that. On the climbs I was down to 7 -8 mph. Couldn't hang with the roadies but could catch back up on the downhill side.

    Also cool to pedal through the turns with a good lean angle at 30 mph. Bottom Bracket up high -don't have to worry about dragging a pedal.

    Yep, I was the sole representative from the recumbent world. Oh well somebody's got to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen already your “Recumbent Conspiracy Theorist” this post. This post is very helpful for us. I like Recumbent Bike. I am a Recumbent Exercise Bike Seller in our shop. Great information! I’m not a trainer; I have gotten more information and experience form this post. Its help me for bike sale. I want to share More information about Recumbent Bike

    ReplyDelete