Saturday, August 11, 2012

Recumbent Ride -- B & O Trail


Freelance Art on a Mansfield, Ohio bridge underpass

I spent a couple hours kicked back relaxing on my recumbent bike this afternoon.  While I was at it I managed to pedal the entire length of the B & O rail trail north and south logging 36 miles.  The air was moist from recent rains and the temperature only made it into the 60's so it was a great day to be out on the bike.  Trail users were few and far between because the sky was dark with heavy clouds and the occasional sprinkle.  Ideal conditions just the way I like it.


There is just a few places along the trail where Ohio shale is still visible.  The low hills were cut away providing a clear grade when the railroad was built in the 1850's.  After a 160 years the stoney berms are slowly crumbling.  I like these cool shady places.



I just happened to look down to my computer at about 29.5 miles and saw that I was going to hit 30 miles in just under two hours.  That spurred me on and I spun out the half mile reaching 30 with almost a couple minutes to spare.  I am loving the new Kojaks.  These tires are so much faster than the fat Primo Comets. I can't help but to put the hammer down and boy does it feel good.

Buckeyes - The Ohio State Tree


I saw these guys having an afternoon snack of tasty grass.  It's been so dry up until the last few days with a couple rain showers the grass is already starting to green back up.  I bet it tastes better green than the yellow dried up scrub these horses have been grazing all summer.


B & O Trail, Richland County
Bike:  HP Velotechnik Street Machine
Ride Time:  2:24:42
Distance:  36.7 miles
Average Speed:  15.1 mph
Max Speed:  22.8 mph


3 comments:

  1. Temps in the 60's? Awesome. It's been a dry and hot summer here in Maryland. So dry that I'm worried about my well going dry. All but one county in Maryland is on a drought watch which means I can't wash my jeep!

    Can you do anything with buckeyes? Are they edible?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,
      Buckeyes are actually poisonous to people but the squirrels like to eat them. Later in the season they will fall off the tree and the green husk part will split open revealing the hard seed. They have a cool reddish-brown burl look. I'm sure you've seen them. Under the woody shell it's a soft white material kind of like a acorn.

      Delete