Saturday, October 13, 2012

Family Hike -- Hog Hollow

 
 
 
As I have grown older one of my favorite things to do here in Ohio is just be outside and experience the seasons change.  Autumn is an especially magical time to go out for a walk in the woods.  The cooler air smells much different from that of the humid summer months.  The sunlight is more golden and enhanced by the changing foliage.  All to soon the days will be gray and cold in the icy grip of winter.
 
 
Earlier in the week I planned this Saturday outing to spend some quality time with my family in the great outdoors.  It is always worth the effort and I'm grateful we can share the experience.  Throughout this post are pictures that LeeAnn took with her Sony and a few I shot with my little Canon point and shoot.
 
 
A quick forty minute drive got us to the Mohican State Park where we set off from the lower end of the Hog Hollow Trail. This trail is one of our favorites and is a two mile route that ascends up out of the Clear Fork valley and terminates at the highest point of elevation in the region near the park's fire tower.
  


 
Back in the spring work crews were out building a series of new bridges along the trail.  Upkeep of our public lands and parks is one thing I'm happy to know my tax dollars are a part of.
 



 
This last shot is looking to the north-west up the Clear Fork Gorge. The elevation difference from the valley floor to the top of the ridges is about 300 feet. 
 
 


1 comment: